Regional Overview of Artist-in-Residence Programs: France
Laurent van Kote, International Advisor in Performing Arts Policy, Ministry of Culture and Communication, France · www.culturecommunication.gouv.fr
Laurent van Kote presented ‘French Performing Arts Policy’ at TransCultural Exchange’s 2016 International Conference on Opportunities in the Arts.
The French Ministry of Culture describes its mission as follows:
The mission of the Ministry of Culture and Communication is to make accessible to as many people as possible the major works of humanity – and, above all, those of France. In this capacity, the Ministry develops cultural policy directed at the protection and enhancement of cultural heritage in all its aspects and supports the creation of works of art and the development of artistic practices.
It contributes, together with other ministries, to the arts and cultural education of children and young adults throughout their training cycles.
It encourages local cultural initiatives, developing links between cultural policies of the state and local governments while bearing in mind the principles of subsidiarity and decentralization.
It oversees the activity of cultural industries. It contributes to the development of new broadcasting technologies and the creation of cultural heritage.
It is concerned with cultural diplomacy and it contributes to cultural activity outside of France and actions of the French cultural institutions abroad.
– “Ministry of Culture and Communication (France),” The Asia-Europe Foundation1
The presentation covered the following topics:
· The Ministry’s founding principles
· The Ministry of Culture’s organization (state and local authorities)
· The Directorate for Artistic Creation
· Delegations for theater, music, and dance
· Key statistics about the French cultural economy.
Performing Arts Culture
· Statistics about theater, music, and dance
· Outreach in schools.
· Network of national venues
· Networks of assisted venues
· Networks of atypical venues and emerging artists
French Heritage and Culture
· The Ministry’s objectives
· Outreach and community service systems.
Artistic Employment in France
· L’intermittence (France’s artist unemployment insurance system)
· International employment
· Career resources.
 “Ministry of Culture and Communication (France),” The Asia-Europe Foundation, accessed August 15, 2016, www.culture360.asef.org/organisation/ministry-of-culture-and-communication-france.